VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to build and use VSTools with newer kernel version?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/14/2007 02:06 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/14/2007 02:06 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Liang
New User

Hello,

I posted this question on VI support website and I did not get reply. I understand VI does not provide support for not using VSTools RPM package. I re-post to this forum in case I can get help from other uses who have similar experience.

I created a VS on a SATA disk drive attached to a physcial VI node and installed it with RHEL4U4 which has built-in kernel 2.6.9-42. However, I want to use 2.6.16 kernel version for performance evaluation purpose. I downloaded 2.6.16 source and rebuilt it. The VS boots properly with this newer kernel version without problem. I then downloaded VSTools source and built VSTools with 2.6.16 kernel. VSTools driver modules are built without problems either.

Then I stopped the VS and enabled VSTools in the Boot Configuration of VS and then restarted the VS. However, VS boots with the kernel panic (Volume Group not found).

I have several questions about building and using VSTools on a customer kernel:

1. Do I need to load thos VSTools modules manually after I built it from source?
2. What is the proper sequence to load VSTools modules as there are 12 of module files?
3. Do I need to load all those 12 .ko modules in domu/drviers/linux/RHEL4-U4-i386_32.modules/2.6.16.33-up?
4. Based on the VI manual, it seems if I install VSTools from the VSTools RPM package, a VSTools entry will be added in grub.conf. However, it seems building VSTools from source does not make this happen. Should I manually add such entry if I build VSTools from source?

Thanks,

Liang

Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map