VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: free single server edition
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/05/2007 01:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/05/2007 01:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

csmcsm
New User

Hello,

I have some questions of the new version 3.5:
1) is it now posibly to install the free edition on only one server?
2) is it legal to install single server edition to more servers? (like vmware server)
3) are there any limitations with the free edition (like maximum virtual-servers or memory limit or cpu limit)?
4) are windows virtualisation (with vanderpool-cpu) now posibly?
5) are there some os templates for easy deploy virtual-servers?
6) is there any simple posibility to migrate full-virtualisated (vanterpool) xensource virtual-servers to virtualiron?

thanks for the answers
Christoph
 03/05/2007 03:04 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

Hello-
1) Yes, it's possible to install the new single server edition on one server.
2) Single server edition is limited to one per customer, please.
3) Single server edition only allows virtual servers with up to 1 CPU. You also cannot LiveMigrate (since it's a single server).
4) We've supported Windows since version 3.1. See our supported operating systems.
5) See our Virtual Appliances Exchange to get ready-to-run virtual servers.
6) Virtual Iron uses the Microsoft VHD format for virtual server portability. Unfortunately XenSource uses a proprietary format, reducing the ability to move to other vendors.
 03/10/2007 01:54 AM

agelders
New User

Hello, I am just dipping my toes into virtualization and need some guidance. 1) Does VI3.5 run on workstations or just servers with basic graphics? 2) When you say $499 per socket -- what is the definition of socket in this context? That is, if I purchase a box with with two Xeon 5150 processors are 1, 2 or 4 sockets needed? Or is the definition of socket at the virtual end? So if I wanted 5 virtual servers running on this box would I need 5 sockets? 3) This will be the only physical hardware -- is there still value added with the virtualization manager?
 03/11/2007 09:38 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

Hello, thanks for evaluating Virtual Iron!

1) Virtual Iron runs on a variety of workstations and servers. See our hardware certification list for more information on exact models that are supported.

2) A socket is a physical processing unit containing one or more CPU cores. For example, a 2-way dual core has 4 CPUs but only 2 sockets.

3) The price of the Virtualization Manager is included in our list price. For $499/socket you get everything, including management, LiveMigration, and enterprise-class virtualization.
Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map