VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: LAMP equiv appliance
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/28/2007 09:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/28/2007 09:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

maladil
New User

If all I want is a web server that runs php and connects to an external database, is there a virtual appliance like that?  I basically just need all the usual libraries like PEAR and MING installed.

Is there an advantage to a virtual appliance vs setting up a linux VM and installing apache/php ?

-------------------------
Thanks,
Jason
 02/28/2007 09:43 PM

maladil
New User

Looks like I'm a bit confused.  Upon further searching I found that you guys do have a LAMP appliance, but it is basically a pre-built VM that runs LAMP.  I figured an appliance was a very cut down build with some proprietary equiv of those functions.

Well, then how does a LAMP appliance compare to me setting up a VM and installing all that stuff myself?  Which would generally be more secure/faster if we assume I know what I'm doing (not always safe to assume, but humor me) 

-------------------------
Thanks,
Jason
 03/06/2007 10:32 AM

cbarclay
Fellow

The promise of appliances is simplicity, security, and support. The appliance vendor usually provides support and updates. All you need to do is import the appliance and run. Of course, you can do this yourself, but unless you have unique requirements, it's probably easier to use the appliance.
Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map