VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: First impressions and questions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2007 10:03 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2007 10:03 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jfitton
New User

Downloaded and installed yesterday/today and I like the software however I have some questions.
1) The requirement for 2 servers (management and node servers) in the single node mode appears a little excessive, Also I have read that the nodes will continue to run without the management server being available but what happens if the node reboots itself? I read its possible to set up HA for management console - how do I do this?
2) iSCSI when will it possible to assign iSCSI disks - I notice you have partnered with Datacore I already have there in product in production which is why I am interested in iSCSI.
3) VHD, I currently use MS Virtual Server - are these interchangeable. do you make use of dynamically expanding VHD or are they fixed size always?
4) I created a VS and tried to allocate more than 1 cpu to it and it said I had exceeded my cpu count as per licensing. However I cant see this in the licensing.
5) Is it possible to change the SCSI channel ID for assigned disks to VSes?

02/07/2007 06:03 PM

jfitton
New User

A further couple of questions.
For some reason I had to reinstall the management console as the webportal was not showing. Are there any troubleshooting tips for this?
Once the booting from CDrom has finished and you change the VS to boot from its relevant HardDisk. I am unable to share the nodes CDROM even though the configuration options say "use CD-ROM/dvd" is ticked?
 02/07/2007 08:59 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

Thanks for your feedback.
1) We will have a single server configuration at the end of this month (both management and virtualization on a single server).
HA is available for the management console in an active/passive model. The basic idea (we have a whitepaper you can request from your salesperson: (1) create a network storage that two physical servers can access (2) if one physical server fails, the second is started.
2) iSCSI will be announced very soon.
3) Currently you can import dynamic VHD, but those created within Virtual Iron are fixed size at present.
4) The single server version only supports 1 virtual CPU. You can download a trial of our multi-server version if you would like to use SMP.

Please contact us to discuss your other questions -- it will be easier through our trouble ticket system. Enter a free support incident.
Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map