VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Installation of Virtualisation Manager
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/02/2007 01:15 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/02/2007 01:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rdhickman
New User

I have installed VI 3.1 (twice), and following the guide the next step is to log onto the manager via the web interface. However, there is no "start service" shortcut installed so this does not appear possible (the only shortcut installed is 'uninstall' strangely enough). Is there a manual way of booting the manager?
 02/02/2007 01:37 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

You can also go to Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services and start it directly through that interface. It's strange that you don't see it in Program Files. If you'd like, please submit a support request.
 02/02/2007 02:42 PM

rdhickman
New User

Thanks. Clearly I have a somewhat deeper problem, as I don't see the services there which is probably why there aren't shortcuts. The install log looks healthy, however. I will try installation on another system.
 02/02/2007 05:52 PM

snoyes
New User

On Windows, if you look in Program Files\VirtualIron\VirtualizationManager you will see vivmgr.bat. You can use this bat file to start/stop the Virt Mgr, like this:

$ vivmgr.bat start

If you use the command with no arguments, it will list out the other actions available. They include install (which installs the service), and remove (which removes the service). This can be helpful in debugging- if there's a problem you'll get an error message that can help isolate the problem.

Be careful about using reload, this will clear out all your data and put you back to the state you were in after you installed the product for the first time.
 02/03/2007 12:52 PM

rdhickman
New User

The batch file wasn't installed either. I managed to get around this by copying an entire directory from another computer I installed on however.

Unfortunately now the systems do not PXE boot claiming they cannot find modules.dep - I've tried it with both systems so I'll have to put in some CD-ROM drives to try and get this to work.

02/03/2007 02:23 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

If you'd like, please submit a support request and we'll help you resolve your issue.
 02/04/2007 05:02 PM

rdhickman
New User

I managed to get the problem I encountered resolved to my satisfaction. The current hard drive interface being used in the intended node doesn't appear to be supported (the drives don't show up in manager). Could someone please suggest a fully functional card to try with this? We're using SATA local disks at the moment, and it would be useful if the interface was low-profile, but I know this is a rather tough requirement.
 02/04/2007 07:26 PM

darmlin
Apprentice

What type of server and controller are you using? When you are in the Hardware view of the Virtualization Manager and highlight the node nothing shows up under SCSI/SATA?
 02/05/2007 10:25 AM

rdhickman
New User

I'll have to pull it open sometime to check the controller but it's likely either a promise technology card or something with an SI chipset. And yes, it doesn't show up under SCSI/SATA at all.
Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map