VirtualIron.com | Join | Contact Us

Blog

Welcome to the Virtual Iron Forums!
Here you'll find information to help you get the maximum value from your Virtual Iron software.

Community
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: consolidation ratios
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2007 05:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2007 05:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jagermose
New User

hi

im trying to get a picture of the consolidation ratios one can "expect". I know this is ofcause a very hard thing to "guess" or how should I put it. But are there any "rules" on how to plan a move from physical servers to VM?

most of my server do not seam to have a high CPU usage - some are working hard on disk IO (only a few) but most have a high memory usage.

if my host server has 16GB and I move 4 servers that has a 4GB usage today to the host server will the host server then be able to actually serve more VM? if a windows webserver uses 4Gb of ram I guess not all is activly beeing used so some minimal amount of swapping is ok, but I cannot expect to put say 8 servers on the host? or?

02/16/2007 05:19 PM

cbarclay
Fellow

Ratios are hard numbers to ballpark, because workloads are so different. Depending on the load, you can run up to 5 virtual servers per CPU (so for a 2 socket dual-core, that would be 20 virtual servers). There are some tools that can help. PlateSpin's PowerRecon for example will allow you to perform what-if scenarios to optimize your consolidation ratios. And our partners can work with you to perform consolidation analysis.
 02/16/2007 05:36 PM

jagermose
New User

ok - I will take a look at that tool.

but am I right in assuming that if I create 5 guest that have a 4Gb memory and all actually allocate at lease 3GB memory then Im at the limit of what the the host server can actually handle - no mather how much CPU is used or not uses - simply looking at the memory usage?

(if the host server has 16Gb of physical memory that is)
 02/17/2007 07:18 AM

cbarclay
Fellow

You're right that memory cannot be shared amongst virtual servers. What they request must be available for a virtual server to start.
Statistics
222 users are registered to the Community forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Standard Edition - © 1999-2007 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.

Copyright © 2003-2007 Virtual Iron Software, Inc. | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Site Map